Monday, January 16, 2012

What is literacy?

We hear the word "literacy" all the time.  From the media, to the government, and in classrooms across the country, we can't seem to escape that word.  But what is it?  What is this allusive term?

As a teacher, I use this word to mean being able to read well and comprehend what you read.  I think that this generalized statement covers the term reasonably well.  However, as an adult, literacy personally means significantly more to me.  Being able to read and comprehend is only one facet to reading.  Seeing the beauty in the way that words are constructed, seeing foreshadowing and character elements go beyond my simple definition to add richness and vitality to the written word in a way that I hope I translate to my students.

I believe literacy is reading and understanding; however, I want more for my students.  I want them to have passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment