Monday, February 20, 2012

Visiting My Library

I, shamefully, have not stepped into a public library in (cough) more years than I can remember.  Why?  I'm a book hoarder.  I typically buy books and then read them.  If I don't like them, they get shipped to my librarian best friend, Beth, who ships them sometimes around the world.  If I do like them, they are placed on my IKEA shelves in my office to be read and reread until the binding breaks. 

This Saturday, my shadow crossed the doorway of the Southeast Branch library in St. Johns County.  Clad in gym clothes and carrying a camera (my standard battle gear), I set out to find what this particular branch had to offer.  I specifically looked for: ESL, community uses, classrooms, teaching, special needs collection.

Being a teacher, I forget what quiet sounds like.  Classroom quiet is very different from library quiet.  Once I got over the initial discomfort of the lack of sound, I noticed classrooms/conference rooms immediately.  To the right, was the library.  Inside, I noted several areas.  There was a teen lounge, an audio book section, the standard fiction and non-fictions sections, as well as a reasonably extensive children's area.  Computers were found in several locations around the branch. 

It was quiet easy to locate the community uses for the library.  The building had two classroom/conference room areas which were used for the programs that the library offered.  Online there was quiet a few listings for events that the library hosts, and these events and services were confirmed by the reference librarian that I spoke with.  Some of the events that the library hosts or are planning to host are: AARP Tax Assistance classes, story time for babies, toddlers, and families, yoga experience class, Read to Rover (live dog on site), Japanese Fairy Tale Theate, Wii Games, Dr. Seuss' Birthday party, Middle Eastern Dance Class, COPD health class, and other community programs.  





Calendar of Events

One of the classrooms

Another classroom

The special needs section mostly was found in the children's section.  There were a few shelves with braille books.  In the adult section, there was quite a selection of audio books available (uh hum, I did spot some Evanovich in that selection that might make all the driving I do bearable). There were also a few large print book selections.




Braille book section

   


 The hardest section to find was for ESL.  I even spoke with the reference librarian and she directed me to three books about teaching students who are ESL.  In order to find something that related to ESL, I found the section of books on languages.  After my visit, and seeing all of the neat classes offered and the selection of audio books, I may have to make a library trip a part of my weekly schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment